Wednesday 16 December 2009

Prague day one.



I was looking forward to this trip and then I realised it would be cold. Even though I knew that nothing could prepare me for how cold it would be.
But first. The journey. Quite a convoluted journey as we could only get a flight with a stop over. I don't mind but Mr. W doesn't fly well - it's the take of and landing that freaks him out. Mmmm...so thats 2 take offs and 2 landings each way - ooops! So there's my big 6ft 1" husband sitting there squeezing my hand with his eyes tightly closed on take off. I looked at the young boy - well kid really - across the aisle and he looked back at me and we burst out laughing!! Poor Mark.
When we got to Prague it had been snowing and I felt a bit traumatised as I don't like snow. We spoke to a lady from Chicago on our flight who was going to stay with her daughter. She bought her daughter over to say hello at the airport. She said that today was the first day of snow. We decided to get a cab to the hotel. The ride was interesting. We went through some pretty grotty areas before we got to the pretty part. It was such a relief to get to our hotel. The hotel is beautiful. We are well pleased with our room. After unpacking and freshening up we decided to go out to eat. We went to a grocery store across the road first. We bought snacks and drinks for the room.
We went to a restaurant a few doors away called the Three Violins (named so because it used to be a violin workshop) The place was beautiful. It was only about 5ish so we were the only ones in there. I decided I would eat Czech style as much as possible. I ordered Czech boiled ham with horseradish - yum yum! Mark had onion soup - Yum yum! I then had sirloin steak and dumplings (Czech style) while Mark had risotto. We finished with Czech pancakes with fruit for Mark and Chocolate ice cream for me. I have never had such a lovely meal before. It was great and we really enjoyed it.
Having eaten like pigs and feeling really full I suggested we go for a long walk. OMG am I mad?? It is so cold here. After 5 mins I realised my hat wasn't adequate and I should have put my leggings on under my jeans. I even jogged for a bit to stop myself from freezing to the spot. All this while Mark was strolling along with his jacket undone and hat off saying "Whats wrong with you? It's not that cold" (Well he is from Leeds!)
I ended up dragging him into a shop to buy a 'deputy dog' hat - you know, the ones with the ears. Snug fit and so much warmer as it covers my ears. Alright, I look like a dick but who cares - the need to avoid frostbite outweighs my vanity! So now I'm in the hotel, already posted my pics, writing this with Mark snoring away in the background! Just watched the weather forecast on CNN and it's snow all around I'm afraid. They reckon London will get it bad on Saturday. It's meant to be -10 here tonight and we are going to get bad snow over the next few days. Think I'll have a shower a go to bed so we can make an early start in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment