Tuesday 18 August 2009




This will probably be my last post from South korea, I might try to do one more later on tonight.


Jenn and I went out about lunchtime to LaFesta. We had as good look around the shops and bought a few bits and pieces. We went to the record shop so Jenn could buy some music and I found 'Frozen Flower'!!! Even thought I'd promised myself not to buy any more stuff for myself I had to have it.


Oh, I forgot - Jenn and Jaron went to an outlet shopping park yesterday and saw Kim Bum and Joo Jin Mo he's in frozen flower) filming dream! Jenn managed to sneak a picture of Kim Bum But alas couldn't get one of Jin Mo!


Anyway, after acouple of hours shopping we made our way to "Coffee and Dogs-I love Puppy".


We walked in and as the dogs spotted us they all came running to the door, it was pandemonium. We were shown in by a nice young man and we ordered our drinks. Immediatly the dogs were on us. We bought some food and fed them. I've never had so much fun! There were a few people in there and a few children that seemed to be there with the express purpose of playing with the dogs. We ended up buying more food for the children to give to the dogs. We had a chat with one of the men there, he said his name was Joe (we initially named him number one). His English wasn't great but he managed to say that he loved London. We had a bit of a laugh with him. He and the other two men looked at my tats and admired them. We were there nearly 2 hours but the time went quickly because we were having so much fun. The dogs were great, they were all really friendly and there were no dog fights. I think a doggie creche is a great idea but I dion't think it would work in London because of health and safety issues. Jarons friends Josh and Kito leave their dog there and they said he always comes home really tired. I'm not surprised because the dog are free to roam and there are people to play with. The three men there also play with the dogs. One of them was playing with them with a laser beam on the floor! The dogs seem active the whole time. It's better than leaving them on their own while you're at work all day.


Oh well my case is 99.9% packed. We've been cleaning the flat up too. We are going to be at the airport at lunchtime tomorrow so we'll leave here about 11ish. I have very mixed feelings. I'm looking forward to getting home and seeing everyone but I also feel very upset. I've had such a positive experience here. I've seen and done some wonderful things. I've made some firm friends and met some great people. I know when I walk away from here with my suitcase tomorrow I'm going to be crying like a baby! I know I'll be leaving a little bit of my heart here :(




Just a few more observations:


The trains: People sell things on the trains. I don't know if it's for charitible or commercial purposes, but it's quite usual to see people pulling small carts through the carriages and to see people stop in the middle of a carriage and deliver a sales blurb. So far I have seen CD's, slippers, handkerchiefs and big fluffy gloves for polishing! In fact the man gave a demonstration by cleaning the train doors and windows!


Quite often in the evening people are asleep on the trains.


I've got used to seeing groups of young men sitting with their arms around each other or leaning against each other, I've even seen young men holding hands.


It's quite common to see people preening themselves in their mirrors or in their reflection in the windows. The stations often have full length mirrors where people preen themselves before leaving the station. (Claire you would so be at home here girl!)




Other things:


So many people wear glasses here. The streets are full of glasses shops, shoe shops, mobile phone shops and donut shops!


People wear health masks if they have a cold and it's very rude to sneeze at the dinner table (but the ajushi's spit in the street!).


Seoul if full of apartments - everyone seems to live in an apartment (Arirang reckons it's 40%)


People really do bundle up their good in pieces of cloth in order to carry them around (just like they do in the drama's)




Students study all the time. At the weekend in starbucks there are many youngster sitting there with a coffee and their books open.


Ajummas wear the most amazing visors! And yes - I have seen them wearing shell suites.


I also saw a group of ajummas fixing the paving slabs in the street!




It seems normal to wear small flesh coloured plasters on you face to cover up spots. Ive seen beautifully made up girls with a plaster on their face!




I found a shop selling couples clothes! I though they only existed in dramas.




I saw a t- shirt in a shop window with the logo "Love is what you thing off during the sad songs" Why oh why don't they check their spelling or grammar with an English speaking person. I've seen signs such as "food do not bring in" and " dog is not allowed" on shop windows. Actually I do think It's quite sweet.




Home plus (Tesco) is madness! It's a cross between a market and a supermarket inside. There are small tv screens on the shelves selling the products and the place is as noisy as hell - I love


it!!


I've just got used to the money, the roads, the metro, the people etc. and I have to leave!!!


Oh well I'm off to finish cleaning the flat now. Having our farewell dinner with Josh and Jenn at the restaurant downstairs later.


No comments:

Post a Comment