Monday 27 July 2009

I was going to have an early night but that didn't happen. There is a wonderful couple staying here. he is french and a teacher and she is an extremely pretty Korean girl. I had such a laugh with them. He is the one that fed me intestings under false pretenses! After most people had gone to bed Marika was hungry so I walked with her to the local Mac's. I can't believe I was standing in mac's in Korea at 3am. The place was still buzzing with music coming out of clubs etc. some of the food shops here just never close! It's a university town so it is very busy!

Drunk Korean: Korean like to drink! They like to go out drinking straight from work with their collegues. It is not unusual to see a man with a briefcase being helped along the road by his collegues at 8pm! I haven't seen anyone be offensively drunk yet, it just seems to be a part of the culture that everyone accept and nobody batts an eyelid - even the crazy Ajummas!

I got up quite early today and waited for Matt and Sean to get up. They checked out today to go to Seoul backpackers so I went with them to see where it was. It is in a great position right near Namdaemun market. It's a great place, air con and everything. I've booked to stay there on Saturday and Sunday so it's easier for us to go and do the tourist thing. It's 25 quid a night!I will miss the Windflower because everyone here is so nice. On Monday Jaron and I will move to the appartment. It's a bit outside Seoul so I will have to take a bus in everyday.
After we dropped their stuff off we went to the Namsangol Hanok village which is a traditional village from back in the day. It was stunning to look at and great to see something in real life that I've seen in dramas. Then we went to another place that I can't remember the name of - it is a stream that was built over and then dug out again. It was so beautiful. we soaked our feet in it to cool ourselves down. It was strange to stand on the bridge and look down on this quiet haven of water and greenery with the mad Seoul traffic around you. A group of Korean children and their mums turned up and the children were so cute - all rushing to the stream and taking their shoes off. the said hello to us in English and seemed thrilled when we answered them in English and Korean. We met a Spanish man there just chilling out and Matt started talking to him. We all went to lunch together and exchanged emails. We were on the bridge and matt asked an old man if he would take our photo. The man pretended to run off with the camera and was trying to joke with us. After lunch we had a walk arounde the shops and market.People were so friendly, asking us where we come from etc. We bumped into two young men on one of the bridges and had a conversation. One of them had a sister in London studying. They were interested to know why I had chosen to come to Korea. I told them about my interests and how i had discovered Korea. After a long chat about Popular Korean culture one of the boys took my hand and said "I think you are Korean. If not now in a previous life".

I've also found a way to deal with the scarey ajummas! Smile sweetly and say "annyeong haseyo"
The response is amazing. Their hard looking, scowly faces beam at you and they greet you back!
I've discovered that Korean people are really friendly but you need to approach them first. It's also true that if you stand on the street and look at a map, that is the one time a Korean will approach you and offer to help you! This man came up and offered us help. He told us where to go and then gave me a map that had the english station names!
Matt and Sean went back to their hostel and I had to make some of the journey home on my own.I'm going to go out tomorrow on my own and try to find my way around. Daunted much!
I'm running out of money fast!!! My trip to Gyeong Ju is costing 100,000 won (50 quid) for the hotel and 60,000 (30 quid) for the travel. Two nights in backpackers is 50 quid. Food and stuff is really cheap but when you eat out all the time it adds up. When we're in the appartment we will save money because we can shop and eat at home. Also I'm drinking a lot of bottled water because although the water here is safe it has a lot of chlorine in it.
the weather hasn't been too bad but it is humid and we have had a bit of rain.
I got home at about 10 and I had a call from the cool couple asking me to meet them for dinner. I met them at the station and we went to a Korean BBQ. The food was lovely - we had pork bbq and some beer and it came to 5 quid each!
i've been really luck so far. Meeting Matt and Sean has been a right boon! they are really great and have been looking after me in Jarons absence. they invite me everywhere with them and I'm so pleased to be going away with them for acouple of days. they are the one and only reason I would consider going to Australia. I think I may take them up on their invite to Melbourne. Don't worry mark they are not typical Australians! they have the same opinion about the place as you do! In fact matt is from Greenwich and is as left wing as you can get! I love them!!! Matt is very enironment conscious. In fact today he went up to a korean man in the street who had thrown a drink carton on the floor. he picked it up and gave it back to him along with a lecture on looking after and being proud of your country! sean and I had to walk away because we were cracking up!! it rubs off on you too. I picked up astray plastic bag a the Hanok village today and put it in the bin.
One more thing! Walking! I have never walked so much in my life!!! there are hills everywhere! And it is so hot but i am determined to walk as much as I can. A habit I hope I keep when I get home. The stairs in and out of the underground are many and steep so I'm hoping that a combination of healthy korean food and all that exercise will make me healthier.
My opinion of Korea so far??
I LOVE IT!!!! despite the drunkeness, the (not so) scarey ajummas, the spitting on the street, the language barrier, the heat, the humidity, the funny money etc...I love this place! So far it has lived up to alll my expectations and I just hope I don't have any bad experiences to change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment