Saturday 25 July 2009

This is just a short one cos I'm tired. I've just got from a day out with Sean and Matt. We were picked up at 7.30 from outside Dunkin donuts (these bloody places are everywhere - what is it with Koreans and donuts????) We were dropped off at the Lotte hotel to wait for the coach. We had 20 mins to spare so we had a look around. OMG talk about opulent!This is the hotel I want to stay in when I get back!
The coach ride was about an hour. We stopped at Imjingak park and went to look at the freedom bridge. This was where the pow's were exchanged after the war. I found out lots of interesting thisgs such as it was built by the man who owned Hyundai, he was North Korean and was trapped on the South side. He stole a cow from his parents and went to the south to work. When the bridge was opened he drove a 101 cattle across to the north. One to replace the one he took and 100 as interest so it is also known as the cow bridge. There were messages of hope written on ribbons and pinned up on walls. It was quite emotional reading some of the messages. After that we went to the infiltration tunnel. I decided not to walk the tunnel as they recommended that people with heart trouble or diabetes didn't go. When I saw the people emerge from the tunnel 30 mins later I was glad I didn't go because it was quite an uphill trek on the way back. After that we went to the observatory. There are only certain places you are permitted to take photo from but Matt had binoculars so we could see North Korea and Gaesong quite clearly. There were soldiers among us ensuring that no one was taking pics in the restricted area. The restricted area was beyond a yellow line that was a few feet away from the observation wall where all the viewing scopes were. I guess this is because the North Korean military are observing and if they see photos being taken they would accuse the South Koreans of spying. One man had his video camera sitting on the wall and the soldiers were quite insitant that hew played back his film to see if he had been filming the north. My camera stayed firmly in my bag once I was over that line! It was quite an emotional experience because North Korea looked quite beautiful and the thought that there were people there that were suddenly separated from their families in the south is very sad. I also thought about the children over there that suffer from malnutrtion and lack of proper education.
On the way back we stopped a the station and I had my photo taken with a couple of soldiers. It was a very interesting experience and I might go again befor I leave but actually go to the Joint security area.
On the way back we got of the coach at myeong Dong. What a great place! We went in the Lotte store for a look. We were also trying to find an adapter so I can recharge my camera which had died by then. Matt eventually found one for me after we'd been to 50,000 shops!
The very exciting thing was that I found stalls selling DBSK merchansdise!!! Purses, calenders, passport cases etc!!! I am the saddest person in the word - I actually bought a Jaejoong jigsaw puzzle! I wouldn't buy anything because I have 3 weeks left to shop but when I saw this puzzle I had to have it. It is the cheapest most corniest thing I have seen so that's why I had to get it. A shop in the station also sold DVD's and Cd's mainly of DBSK. I'm going to treat myself to a picture book as here it's much cheaper than Yesasia.
We came home on the underground ( I refuse to call it the subway!) always an experience as Koreans concept of queing is almost non-existant. Of course we had to endure the stares from the scarey ajummas as usual. I'm finding this quite amusing now.
I'm going to have a rest now because we are going out later to Itaewan. I'm looking forward to that.
Matt and Sean are moving to another hostel near Myeong Dong in a couple of days and and as our app isn't ready till the third I might go with them. it depends if Jaron wants to or not. They are also going to a place called Gyeong Ju next week for a couple of days and they asked me if I want to go with them. It is the historical part of Korea so I think I'll go. I'm also going to the Namsan tower with them next week. It's good that I met them, it takes a bit of pressure off of Jaron because I'm not on my own all day. Let me tell you about them. Matt is a London born but has lived in Australia for 6 years. He is left wing and radical and is very irreverant about Australians. He is so funny and full of energy. Sean is his Australian husband and seems to have quite a different personality to Matt. He wanders of and says himself that he is in his own little bubble most of the time. They are both really lovely and they would be one reason I would visit Australia. I'm really pleased I met them.
I'm going for a lie down now so I have some energy for tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Jojo,
    It wasn't a short one at all! lol
    I'm glad you met new friends to share new experience. Reading this makes me feel like visiting there, shame I didn't do proper sight seeing last time I went there with my then colleagues. I had to accompany them to a female college area so they could see Korean girls!
    Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete