Wednesday 29 July 2009

Today has been a great day. I left early to make my way to meet the boys. Christope and Su young travelled with me on the metro. OMG that was horrendous! This is the first time I've been on it during rush hour. I will never complain about London transport again. Korean trains are better - cleaner and bigger- but they get absolutely packed. People just squeeze on and stand together packed like sardines. I suppose in a country where about a third of the population lives in the capital city that is what happens. Christoph left me and my bag (he caried it all the way fro me bless him) at the meeting point with a promise to email me so we can meet up for dinner when I get back from Gyeong Ju.
The boys and I travelled to the express bus station to wait for our bus. After a wounderful brekki of rice omelette we got on our bus. It was so comfy - just as well because we had a 4 hr journey. I then confessed to the boys that I hadn't been to bed all night as Steph, Marika and I had been up all night talking nonsense and we had laughed so much I couldn't breath at times. I then fell asleep for two hours and awoke to the most beautiful scenerey I have ever witnessed. South Korea is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! The mountains are spectacular!
We had a quick break at a very busy bus station an then continued on out journey.
When we arrived at Gyeong Ju Matt went to sort out our return journey and to find out where our hotel was. Matt is an organiser and he doesn't mess about he just gets things done. We started to walk to out hotel when Matt suggested we should look at some others first. We went into Sky hotel and inquired but when the lady said the same price as our original choice we said no thank you. As we walked away she yelled "discount!" Matt negotiated a price and we saved 15 quid a night! matt and Iwent to look at the rooms and it was only when we noticed the dubious vending machine that we realised it was a love hotel! The rooms are lovely, with all mod cons, two PC's, a huge tv, fridge, water dispenser and handy little extras on you coffee tray! the bed is huge and comfortable and the bath has a spa.
after I got over my shock and excitemnt of staying in a love hotel we went exploring. We went to Tumuli park where there are 23 Shilla tombs containing monaches and thier families. they were huge and spectacular. The park is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. we went to the tomb of Cheonmachong which was opened so you could see a cross section view. Unfortunatly pics were not allowed so I can't share the fantastic sight with you. The coffin is huge and filled with gifts and then covered with rocks to form a 13m. high mound then covered with earth. Grass then grows over it so it forms a massive grassy mound.
We went the oldest observatory in Asia where Sean took photos. After that the boys walked in the forest for a while and I sat and rested for a bit. We walked around for ages just enjoying the brilliant views and wonderful serene atmosphere. We went into a Korean/Chinese resturaunt on the way back to the hotel and ate the most tastiest fried rice and dumplins. The food and a large bottle of beer cost us about 10 quid! That was surreal - at the back of the reaturant there was a raised platform with a PC and TV and a Korean child was laying down asleep. This was actually in the restaurant right amone the customers.
My Korean friends have always told me that people outside of Seoul are much friendlier. How true that is! During our walk in the park we saw two small boys and their father. The boys were blowing bubbles at us and their dad was encouraging them to say hello to us. we shook their hands and spoke to them in Korean and English. I encouraged the smaller boy to blow more bubbles and taught him that they were called bubbles. they were delighful children and their father was lovely. This experience was repeated a few times with us speaking to children and their parents. People were generally friendlier and were smiling and exchanging a few words with us all the way around the park and out on the main road. Also my tattoos have never had this much attention. a cab driver grabbed my hand to examing my tattoo with great enthusiasm! People guenuinly seemed pleased that we were making the effort to communicate with them using their language and that we had an enthusiasm and interest for their country. I actually felt that my interest in Korea was being appreciated. We walked away from most of the conversations with a thumbs up sign and a nod saying "Korea is a great country".
We have a full day tomorrow with so much to see. I'm exhausted but I' determined to write a little bit everyday. I'm sorry for any typo's or errors but I'm so tired by the time I get to write this I know it's no masterpiece!
Still loving this country, still loving being surrounded by the korean language, still loving being among Korean people, still having a good time!















Shilla graves

No comments:

Post a Comment