Saturday 1 August 2009

Left Windflower this morning and booked int Seoul backpackers with Sean and Matt. It's right opposite Nandaemun market. Had dinner with Su Young, Christophe and a few others. I felt sad to leave there as I will miss all the staff. The place has a brilliant atmosphere and I'm sure I will keep in touch with them.
I got to Seoul BP at about 12ish curtesy of a taxi and Christophe. He is such a sweetie and very funny. I will be seeing him some more before I leave and will defo keep in touch with him.
It rained like hell so we decided to do Namsan tower tomorrow. Instead we went to the Nation Museum of korea. It was fantastic but we didn't get to see everything so it needs another visit. There was a bit of a summer music festival going on with live music and everyone was having a really great time. After that we went to Insadong and I fell in love witht the place. There are so many pottery and arts and crafts shops. The market was on so there was lots to see. People there seemed very friendly. I was watching an Ajumma prepare some stuff that looked like toffee and an old man and his wife explained that it was a Korean speciality made from malt. He broke a big of his portion off for me to try - it was nice but a bit too sweet for me. We went in Macs and I had some chips. The macs here are much better than those at home. Bigger, cleaner and the ice cream counter is separate from the burger bar. I will have a bulgogi burger before I leave here. My tattoos seemed to cause some curiosity again with random people looking at them. People seem to like them especially as they are in Hangeul.
We then walked to Gwanhwamun Square which was having it's opening ceremony. The place was absolutely packed. I have never seen so many policemen - and they are so young! The people seemed so excited about this event. there were old granpa's and grannies down to babes in arms there. We stayed around for quite some time to soak up the atmosphere. At first I was a bit daunted to see so many policemen, especially those with riot sheilds, but then I realised they were there for crowd safety more than anything else. As we, along with about 50,00 other people tried to cross the road to reach the station they actually formed a human chain around us to protect us from the mad Seoul traffic. I realised they were not that scarey, especially when I got pushed in the crowd and a 'baby' cop asked if I was ok. He looked about 15 bless him and I think he just wanted to show off his english.
The underground was packed but our train wasn't too bad. We got back to our station and decided to go for BBQ. We went in a little old traditional place in a backstreet. The owners were an old couple and they were really sweet. They spoke to us in broken English as they had lived in the US for a few years.
Tomorrow we are taking a train to danggogae to see the Suraksan mountain. We are going to walk down the mountain and then get the train back to BP's. Matt assures me it is an easy walk! I hope so because I have done nothing but walk for days! On the way we can visit a few sights, temple etc.
If there's any typo's it's cos I'm really tired - so sorry! Goodnight. Look at the photo's and leave a comment please!
P.S. Matt is so funny. He talks to everyone and is always picking up people's litter and telling them to put it in the bin! He and Sean have been an absolute dream and they have looked after me so well. They are going home on Monday and I'm going to Gimpo to see them off. I'm really going to miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment